Can you tell we are ready for summer foods here?
Crisp cucumbers, fresh summer tomatoes and just a little sweet heat from peppers make this light, bright salad perfect for your next summer cookout. There are no greens, which wilt quickly when dressed, so it’s also a great salad to bring along to share with family and friends.
(Photo courtesy of Jonathan Bardzik)
- 1 pint yellow cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 medium gherkin type cucumbers halved and cut in ¼” slices
- 6-8 bunching onions scallions, roots removed and thinly sliced
- 2 sweet, non-bell peppers seeded, deribbed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/3 cup Sherry vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil – the good stuff!
Place garlic on cutting board and sprinkle with a pinch of coarse salt. Using the flat side of your knife, mash the garlic and salt into a smooth paste.
Combine in a small bowl with honey, cumin and vinegar. Whisk together and season with black pepper.
Drizzle vegetable oil into vinegar, while whisking, to form a creamy emulsion.
For the salad:
In a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, cucumbers, bunching onions, peppers, and fresh cilantro.
Taste dressing with a forkful of salad. Season dressing to taste with additional salt, pepper, oil and vinegar as needed. Lightly dress salad, starting with ½ cup of dressing and adding more to taste.